Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day! Got Trees?

A gift of rain on Earth Day.

Thank you.

Got treelings?

I do.

My folks place in St. Augustine is full of mature, massive pines that rain down seeds as do an assortment of  black cherries and red maples that share the yard. Most of these seeds land where the seedlings will be mowed, or weeded out of a blueberry patch or flower bed.

Weeding is painful, is it not?
Not all weeds of course, pulling a sandspur plant or an exotic thistle is pure bliss to me, but ... a baby tree ... that is something different.

So whatayado?

Me, I rescue a few each year whenever I am over doing chores for Mom and Dad.

Sometimes they come home to PFHQ in a ziplock with a wet papertowel wrapped around their bare roots.
These have to be spaded in immediately when I get home and if, as this spring, we are even more dry than a normal North Florida spring, they probably don't make it.

But we tried.

The batch in the picture above are luckier.
They were put into good dirt and actually grew in the month that I waited for some kind of rain event, ANY RAIN EVENT, to plant them.

And then along comes Earth Day.

And it rains all weekend.

Sweet.

A pine pup, freed from his plastic confinement.
What a shock it will be to go from my Dad's compost to my sandy native soil.
Do not panic Piney Pinerson, you have evolved over millions of years just for a challenge like Florida soil.

You can do it.


Good luck little dude.

Live long and prosper.

Happy Earth Day everybody.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey FC,

Happy Earth Day to you too! My house had nooooo trees when I moved in in 2007. I planted one in the front and two in the back. A runner came off the elm and it was transplanted two weeks ago and is doing fine! I finally have shade in the afternoon.

Patio

Caroline said...

I love the final, reassuring pat of good luck as you settle the infant in.

Baby Black Hills spruce planted 2 weeks ago, a rescue from a septic system overhaul. Brought home in a bucket and gifted to me by a friend.

Pablo said...

Good work, good friend.

From one pine planter to another.

Suzanne said...

Awww. Loved the noisy background sounds, the planting, the pat and greeting for the seedling. What a magical earth this is. Thank you, PF. @>----

Dawn said...

We had 100 pine trees when we moved into our acre lot in South Florida. The Hurricane season(s) of 2004/05 took out 25. Since then we greedily gather up any pine pups and try and bring them along. We haven't been very successful. I only have one that has taken in the yard and 6 more that I am bringing along in pots.....at least I'm trying. They put down VERY deep roots. I think the secret might be not to coddle them?

R.Powers said...

Patio,
No trees! Glad you remedied that situation. :)

Caroline,
Humble beginnings for that little spruce! Great that you rescued him.

Pablo,
Thanks pal... we do what we can!

Suzanne,
There was a grouchy wren in the surrounding bushes! She was not impressed by my Eco -efforts.

Dawn,
Wow! 100 pines on a 1 acre lot is pretty impressive for south FL! 04-05 hurricane seasons were pretty amazing, we lost trees then too. Pines have huge tap roots.I get mine out of pots and into the ground pretty quick so they don't get rootbound.
I think you are right about not coddling them. :)

Doug Taron said...

Do you know which species of pine this is?

R.Powers said...

Doug,
I think it will be slash pine. The parent trees are huge pines that were on the lot when my folks built their house in 1957.

Marilyn Kircus said...

I didn't quite get my trees planted on earth day - had to drive a staff member to retrieve his truck after he lost his days. But I cut 65 willow sticks yesterday and have thirty of them planted now. I'm building a natural screen so people can get close to the visitor pond at Malheur NWR.

Unknown said...

You look eerily like Bob Dylan in the photo with the treeling. Do you have musical talent, too? (Not that Bob Dyland does ...)

R.Powers said...

Marilyn,
What a great project!
Isn't it amazing how willow roots?

Robert,
Bob D is eerie.
Id rather go to the dentist than listen to his hideous screechy singing.

Unknown said...

Realy Good Post!!

Welcome to VP Insurance Brokers, Ltd. Our firm was established for the purpose of providing our clients with outstanding service,We provide competitive quotes for auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance and business insurance to clients in Toronto, Mississauga, Aurora, Newmarket, Concord, Richmond Hill and other regions of Ontario. Business Insurance Ontario

Unknown said...

Realy Good Post!!

Welcome to VP Insurance Brokers, Ltd. Our firm was established for the purpose of providing our clients with outstanding service,We provide competitive quotes for auto insurance, home insurance, life insurance and business insurance to clients in Toronto, Mississauga, Aurora, Newmarket, Concord, Richmond Hill and other regions of Ontario. Insurance Broker Quotes

mamunsultanpur3 said...

Consumers are turnkey rental more, according to the survey, but the typical rent for a two-bedroom home rose in 89% of those markets to meet the demand. rental properties

tabaco123 said...

Great job. thanks for the effort in explaining all of this! Home Insurance Discount

Unknown said...

This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect!
thanks for share me. Building contents insurance