Tuesday, January 19, 2010

98 Candles, Or Just 14?


We celebrate Flounder's birthday on MLK day so the big guy is officially 14 years old now.
At 14, he is blind and deaf, but I can't see that his amazing canine nose is diminished at all. He can't keep up with Bear and I on our runs, but he tracks us, nose down, following our every turn and twist.
He's wobbley when he walks, but he walks and even does a little canter at times. His hips are weak, but apparently not painful. A back rub causes him to just collapse to the ground, followed by vigorous rolling around. (that's happened to me before too ... heehee)
Junior thinks he's faking the frail old dog act as he caught Flounder in the act of knocking over an outside trash can for fermenting goodies this weekend.
I thought he might whither away after his sister Feather died a few months ago, ... they were so inseparable.
That didn't happen and he seems pretty content to spend his days sleeping on the porch and getting scritches and rubs from his family.
We are pretty content to just keep loving him.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Flounder!
Lightnin

lisa said...

Awe he looks pretty loved to me and that is good, to be taken care of in your old age!

Anonymous said...

Give Floundoody a big squeeze from his Bug.

Dani said...

Happy Birthday Flounder!

Pablo said...

Happy Birthday, Flounder! I'm glad you've had a good life.

Anonymous said...

Hi FC,

Happy Birthday to Flounder. When I read the last line it reminded me of The Rascals song 'Good Lovin'.

I said, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
(Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
Yes, indeed, all I really need . . .
(Is good lovin')
Gimme that good, good lovin . . .
(Good lovin')
All I need is lovin' . . .
(Good lovin')
Good lovin', baby.


I'm aging myself.

Patti

swamp4me said...

Happy Birthday, ole boy. My Hannah, at a couple of months shy of 16, lives life much the same way.

Carol said...

We can all hope to be as loved when we reach those years.

He's so lucky to have you and your family to love him.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Deb said...

Happy birthday Flounder, you good old dog.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Happy Birthday Flounder!

Mark said...

There is something very sad about an old dog. Maybe it's because we can watch them go from puppy to oldster in such a short time (for us). My old(ish) dog Zeus died just before Christmas. I had only had him for seven years, but he was probably around 10 - not bad for a Doberman. He died peacefully and without a sound right beside us on his bed as we sat on the sofa.

He had heart trouble, and now so do we.

Give Flounder an extra scratch behind the ears, if it's possible to squeeze in any extra scratches.

threecollie said...

Happy birthday to the great old guy

robin andrea said...

Happy birthday to that old beautiful boy. It's still a good life when you can sniff the air, get some loving scratches, and knock over a trash can.

Thunder said...

Happy Birthday Flounder, from one old dog to another!

On Anothre note: I remember good old J.P.! Hurricane Frederick did a lot of damage to PCB, but it got me an "A" on my term paper! ;-)

Unknown said...

YAY!!! Happy Birthday Doo!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Flounder. Thanks to the family that raised, and cares for you.

See Ya

kevin said...

Happy Birthday Flounder.

We lost our Lab/mix last summer. He was 15 1/2 yrs old. I miss him every day and I swear I still hear at the door.

Miz S said...

A very happy birthday to Flounder. He has the dignified air of an old and well-loved dog. A special kiss from me to him, right on his still-functioning nose.

Cathy S. said...

Very happy birthday wishes to Flounder. Nothing better than a much loved old dog.

Corinne said...

awe wee! He is a sweetheart!

MamaHen said...

Yea Flounder! Happy Birthday!

R.Powers said...

Thanks everyone.
He's a fine old dog. I appreciate your comments and tales of your own old dogs.

Ericka said...

happy birthday flounder.