Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Just One More Thing This Independence Day UPDATED

UPDATED DUE TO RECIPE REQUEST!
SCROLL DOWN FOR RECIPE.
KEEP SCROLLING FOR CLAMERICA POSTS BELOW.


Most
Uber
Desert

Perfectly
Incredible
Edible







(not shown: whipped cream topping)

Mrs. FC whipped up this Mud Pie for our Independence Day desert. Her brother Paul and his family came up for our annual pyrotechnic near disaster and feed. This year, instead of barbequeing the ribs of some poor hapless pig, we went out to the Cedar Key Independence Day celebration to eat...more on that tomorrow.

After Cedar Key, we came back to the house for our annual fireworks show. There was some competing fireworks from a distant neighbor, but it paled in comparison to our show of rockets and mortars. We are especially careful after the "mortar shot heard round the world" of a few years ago. On that 4th, my nephew dropped the mortar shell into the tube upside down, unbeknownst to the "supervising adults" (that would be me and my brother in law) . Oops. The extremely powerful charge that propels the showy explosive up to proper altitude was confined in the tube and there was a spectacular double explosion at ground level right in front of the adoring crowd.

Pretty impressive...I have it on video and it looks like one of those old Bikini atoll newsreels.

Tonight's show was pretty amazing with only one ground level explosion and that was just a bottle rocket that Jr. jammed into the ground so firmly that it could not break free.

I don't know where my brother in law Paul found this year's mortar, but it was incredible. We saved it for the finale after a succession of tamer, legaler sparkle showers, smoke bombs, and flashy smoky explosives. We only shot about 4 mortars due to their incredible altitude and professional showy sky bursts. Even way out here, we were afraid they might draw the attention of the constabulary.

After the show, we all came inside for the mud pie you see in the top picture.
Sweet ending to a nice day of family, fun, and fireworks...
...and no flashburns. Posted by Picasa

UPDATE: THIS WAS POSTED JULY 4TH LATE, BUT DUE TO RECIPE REQUESTS, I'M MOVING IT UP TO THE TOP OF THE POSTINGS FOR JULY 5TH.

MRS. FC IS AT WORK, BUT THIS IS A SIMPLE RECIPE AND I KNOW HOW SHE MAKES IT.

MUD PIE
YOU NEED THESE 5 ITEMS:

CHOCOLATE CREME FILLED OREOS
GOOD COFFEE ICE CREAM SET OUT TO SOFTEN
FUDGE SAUCE
SLICED ALMONDS
WHIPPED TOPPING

1) PLACE OREOS IN CHOPPER/FOOD PROCESSOR THINGIE. CHOP 'EM INTO CRUMBLES. LINE YOUR PIE DISH WITH THE CRUSHED OREOS, THIS IS YOUR CRUST.

2) SPOON IN SOFTENED COFFEE ICE CREAM ONTO THE CRUST TO FILL THE PIE.

3) COVER TOP OF ICE CREAM WITH A LAYER OF THE FUDGE SAUCE.

4) SPRINKLE WITH THE SLICED ALMONDS.

5) COVER WITH FOIL AND RETURN TO FREEZER TO ALLOW PIE TO REFREEZE AND FIRM UP.

6) AFTER PIE IS NICE AND FIRM, SERVE WITH WHIPPED TOPPING.

IT'S THAT EASY.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of those of you who were able to partake in the consumption of that mudpie. Any possibility your lovely and talented Mrs. FC would be willing to pass on the recipe??

And congrats on not blowing yourself up - I'm SO proud of you! (although I am very interested in the "mortar heard around the world" video lol)

Ava said...

Might you share that mud pie recipe? It sure does look delicios!!!!!

Glad you fireworks went off without a hitch. Sparklers are my favorite!!!

Deb said...

Sounds like a fun holiday. Although I've never been a big fan of home fireworks, at least it's better than what I went through tonight. Remind me next year that small town fireworks displays generate BIG traffic jams; I spent more time waiting to get out of town than watching fireworks! The Hermit is out of town on business, and the kids talked me into it...

benning said...

It sounds like a great time was had by all. That mortar thing would worry me forever!

The Mud Pie ... dang! Now I have the 'hungries' all over again!

Happy Independence Day! Glad you kept safe! :D

Anonymous said...

Fourth of July. Mud pie. Fireworks. Family. All in a land of fresh fish, clams and shrimp. (Sigh.) You have a most excellent site. I'll be back often.

Leslie said...

The mud pie looks to die for! Would Mrs. FC allow you to post her super duper recipe?

We were going to do fireworks but it RAINED like it has been raining for the entire past MONTH. Maybe tonight.

robin andrea said...

That's a great-looking mudpie. Mrs. FC is quite a baker.

R.Powers said...

Mrs. S, Ava, Leslie,
You three had a common thread so I'm responding in this manner. Yes, recipe is coming up.

Ol Lurker,
Welcome! Come back any time!

Robin,
It's a freezer creation...no baking needed. Cool!

Deb,
It's why we almost always do our own little show at home. No crowds, not traffic.
I do understand the need to endure the traffic and crowds for something kids (especially little ones) desire to see.
Just part of being a good parent...but you already know all about that :)

Benning,
The mortar thing has tightened up our relaxed attitude about fireworks. Safety, safety, safety.
Not to the point of no fireworks mind you...

R.Powers said...

roger,roger,
...the "legal" ones don't ;)

i don't have a clue as to how to post a video clip to this blog. it is a short scene, but could i do it with a dialup connection? if you have tips, i might give it a try.

Thunder said...

Sounds like you had a good 4th! Tell Patience that the mid pie looks lethal, in a good way of course! I've left the fireworks alone since our last almost encounter with the constabulary!

Thunder said...

Still having finger coordination issues! I meant Mud Pie!

R.Powers said...

ThunderD,
Yes, I remember that night...close call ;)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!! The Recipe is awesome... now all I need to do is convince my husband that these are NECESSITIES to my existance. Hrm. This might be trickier than I thought.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

In the late 1970s I came across what I perceived to be almost a hunk of dynamite. Torched that baby off and everybody around the lake fell silent. Finally, from next door, came one word: "Jesus!"

R.Powers said...

Mrs. S,
No one can refuse a mom to be her food cravings. I'd say it's a safe bet you will get your ingredients.


Hoss,
Cool buddy. On the night of our mortar SNAFU, our audience was praying too! :)

Deb said...

Step #6: That better be REAL whipped cream on such a fine work of art!

...off to the store to find some good coffee ice cream...

Anonymous said...

I love the unabashed presentation and intend to try this out (as I have done with several previous recipe tidbits from FC and Mrs. FC!). Pass on my thanks to the lady of the house.

R.Powers said...

Deb,
Yup, fresh from a squirty can!

Wayne,
Prepare yourself...it's a wee bit yummy.

Leslie said...

"MRS. FC IS AT WORK, BUT THIS IS A SIMPLE RECIPE AND I KNOW HOW SHE MAKES IT."

Ri-ii-ight.
Thanks for posting it :)

R.Powers said...

Leslie,
What?