My coontie plantation continues to develop. Two beds planted last year are sporting about 75 healthy young plants.
My brood herd of coontie adults are heavy with cone, so more seeds are on the way.
And then there is this mess.
Gad, it's messy lookin'. The bits of carpet are used for weed suppression. I've pulled them off an area outside of the camera's view and tossed them aside.
The bed in the foreground has been left fallow and was taken over by crabgrass, etc. ... because I did not cover it with old carpet.
Before. The young citrus tree in the pot is a satsuma.
After, but not done of course. I double dug this bed after pulling the weeds from it.
The next day, I smoothed it all out and planted about two hundred coontie seeds that had each been scarified with the dremel tool I use in carving.
That nick to the seed should speed up germination from one year to about 3 months.
Worked like a charm on the last batch.
Gorgeous day today and I am heading to St. Augustine to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday ... and to find out the ESCAPE (thanks Emma) diagnosis.