Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Year Of Bear


We did it. We survived our first year with Bear.
It's been one year today since we brought Bear home.
It's been a year of craziness, laughter, love ... and yes, some tough, tough, heartbreak since our Bear was part of a pair.

There were two pups who came home a year ago, and long time readers know we lost dear Gumbo, the big hearted runt of the litter. You grieved with us that day, ... never have I gotten so many comments, so many kind messages.
The screen is blurry, so let's remember sweet Gumbo, but not dwell on the pain.
Life goes on.
Bear goes on.

Bear is so full of life that it seems he may burst some days. I took him to the vet this week for his annual checkup and he was a total nutbrain charmer. I think the vet may have had a rough day as she thanked Bear several times for giving her something to smile about that day.

Her pronouncement of his health status? Fit as a fiddle, no heartworms or other nefarious beasties, beautiful coat,strong heart, powerful muscles, and a rippling 96 pounds.


May 17, 2008: First contact



Today we will celebrate a year of laughter, missing socks and underwear, chicken chasing, constant doggy kisses, hugs, play, scratched newly refinished floors, and sweet brown eyes you could just fall in to.

I think I'll grill something with bones in it this afternoon. Big meaty, crunchy real bones.

Thank y'all for sharing the journey with us.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

To big ole' goofy, happy Bear boy....happy first year at Pure Florida! And remembering sweet Gumbo. I did get teary eyed.

Patti

Sandy said...

Bear is gorgeous!

I lost my big black lab mix Garth in 2004 to cancer, after having him rule my world for 12 years. Not a single day goes by that I don't think of him, miss him, and wonder why oh why is he still not here with me this minute. My sister lost her black lab mix within days of my loss. Their family soon got another black lab, a full blood this time, also named Bear. I turned into a cat lady instead.

I'm a Florida native, so I love your blog. Thanks for all the great photos!

Unknown said...

We lost our Black Lab almost 20 years ago,and we still miss that goof-ball immensely.We've never found another dog to replace her,so we turned into cat and bird people.Thanks for sharing Bear with the rest of us.

Sayre said...

My mom has been a regular reader of yours for quite some time. She would call me and say that I MUST read whatever it was that you had written that day. The last thing I needed was another blog to read at that point.

But one day, I clicked over - just as you brought Gumbo and Bear home. I had been without my own beloved black lab for a couple of years by then and I fell in love with yours. I have been a faithful reader of you (and Bear) ever since. His antics make me laugh and you the teacher give me ideas for expanding my son's world.

Happy anniversary to you and Bear - and many, many more to come!

threecollie said...

What a bear! Happy anniversary to him and to your family. He is a great looking guy and I am glad you are all together.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday BEAR! Looking forward to more of your year 2 adventures!

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

It's been a pleasure :-D

Dani said...

You light up the blog world Bear! Big hugs and kisses!

Caroline said...

Love the picture on the top right...Josh,the big black lab that I grew up with was a snorkeler, too. You could get him to dive for rocks in the lake or pieces of cheese in his water dish. We kids thought it was a riot. Thanks for the chuckle, little Jack Sparrow sends his birthday greetings to big Bear.

robin andrea said...

Congrats to Bear for his year at Pure Florida. He totally lucked out last year when he found you and the whole FC clan.

LauraHinNJ said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Bear!

Anonymous said...

awe...bear is precious....captain is asleep so.... hes precious too. Love ya!
-Corinne

Deb said...

Happy birthday Bear, you BIG puppy!

Thunder said...

Wow a year of Bear already? Dang it seems like I was out of the country or something! ;-)

Hey nice snake in yesterday's post too!

Cathy S. said...

Sweet and bittersweet as well. Happy Birthday to Bear and Happy Anniversary to you. Aren't you glad you made that trip to Wal Mart that day?

Dave Coulter said...

That's one lucky dog! :)

Doug Taron said...

Happy anniversary, Bear. It's been a fun year.

kathy a. said...

scritches to the most excellent bear.

roger said...

time flies when you're having fun...or reading about bear (which is fun itself). wow. a whole year.

R.Powers said...

Hey y'all. Thanks for the Bear best wishes. He is such a joy.
And thanks for sharing your thoughts on "Bears" you have had share your life.
Love a good dog tale.

Miz S said...

Is there room for one more well-wisher? I'm late, but I'm here. And I smile at every Bear story and Bear photo you publish. He's a good boy, and you have so many happy years ahead of you.

Rest in peace, little Gumbo.