DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. IT TAKES HIGH TECH PHOTOGRAPHIC LAB EQUIPMENT TO ACCOMPLISH THIS SEQUENCE.
The photo below demonstrates the high tech devices required for cicada emergence photography.
I know, I know ... who can afford photographic accessories like this? If you want the photos, you will find a way.
The good news is, the bowl of fruit is completely unnecessary for good cicada emergence photographs.
It's summer and the cicadas are emerging, mostly at dusk it seems, so if you keep your eyes open, you might notice one of these little bumbling nymphs. This one scuttled out from under the lawnmower when I went to roll it into the barn last night.
All I did to get these photos was:
- Scoop up the cicada nymph.
- Grab a stick on the way into the house.
- Prop the stick up in a vase.
- Put the cicada on the stick.
- Eat 3 bowls of Emma's white bean chicken chili while the cicada did what it MUST do.
- Pause in chili eating to take photos every once in a while.
See? I told you it was a difficult high tech photographic project.