Okay, I'm late, I know it.
How do I know it?
Chef Troll keeps reminding me , that's how.
Chef Troll is an admitted conundrum enigma burrito, but he has an interesting blog that ranges from politics (a tad right of center ... like Chicago is a tad north of Miami), horse racing, pro-golfing cousins, haiku's, Akitas, and food.
We don't agree all the time, and we don't know each other ... which is probably good, ... but I like him.
If you've been hanging around here for a while, or if you never come here, but you love Chef Troll's blog, you already know that he has sponsored a few Culinary Smackdown contests where interested bloggers may achieve fleeting internet stardom by producing a culinary wonder based on the stipulations of the Culinary Throwdown Challenge.
I came in second on one of these Culinary Smackdowns. I tried pretty hard, but could not get over Heff and Donna's chicken BREASTS.
In the end, I was the first place loser ... isn't that what we call second?
Still, it was fun, and Chef Troll deserves credit for creating yet another clever blog thingie, I believe he also is the creator of Mute Monday's, although I don't participate in that one.
So here we go ..., but first a little history.
Peanuts are a new world wonder food (unless you are allergic) that were probably first domesticated in Argentina. Let's take a look at the lowly Peanut's claim to fame:
- High in protein.
- High in some pretty well respected antioxidants.
- High in reservatrol which may keep you young and muscular.
- A good source of niacin and CoQ10
- A major food crop around the world ... China grows the most. The Europeans eat the most.
- They are legumes, so they improve the soil through nitrogen fixation as they grow.
- Are incredibly versatile in the kitchen ... they run the culinary gambit from appetizers to main dish to desert ... even drinks!
- The source of a wonderful high quality frying oil to fry all our southern food in.
By now, you have of course figured out that the peanut will be the focus of this Culinary Throwdown ... in fact you probably scrolled right past all that nerdy stuff up above.
Here is the challenge and stipulations:
- Produce 3 dishes that include peanuts as an integral ingredient. Peanut in any form counts, so using peanut butter is acceptable, but just frying in peanut oil is not of course.
- One of the dishes MUST be an entree and one must be a desert. The third dish may be anything you please as long as peanuts play a starring role.
- Deadline is ... let's give plenty of time on this one ... how about Sunday, August 23rd.
When you players are ready and have posted your entries, let me know in the comment section. It might be a good idea to let Chef Troll know also, since the Throwdown is his baby.
Nuttin like a good food Throwdown!