Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Walking Around The Homestead: Armadillo Evidence


d
i
l
l
o
d
u
g
d
i
s







On a walk from the house to the pond, we'll pass a bunch of these. It's not a burrow, just a shallow hole. Armadillos create these as they search for subterranean treats. They are like mini-hogs in this sense, they root around digging and snuffling for insects, worms, etc.

The holes are real ankle twisters if you are not paying attention. Sometimes I'm not.
Armadillos are not really native to FL and have been shown to greatly reduce the important topsoil fauna that belongs here. I have occasionally treated them with extreme prejudice, but mostly I just chase them into the bushes.

They deserve their own post someday, so I'm going to keep walking...
 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serendipity indeed, FC.

I wonder if they might actually be good for our clayey soil. I've examined the places ours has been digging into and it looks to me that he's doing a pretty good job of double digging.

Of course if he gets into the plants that's the end of him.

R.Powers said...

Wayne,
He will.