Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Bone Road Gators


This grassy lane through the forest is littered with the remains of deer and feral hog. Both are legal game animals and I assume the remains are the chewy bits the hunters left behind. Clavicles, mandibles, vertebrae, ... feet.
In the picture above, there are as many bones behind me as in front of me.

Typical land mines to step over along the bone road.

One of my reliable gators from the reliable gator hole. If you can picture about 6 of these floating 3-4 feet apart, you get the picture. There were others stashed here and there along the shore too.

And of course I had to make a return visit to the baby gator zone. That is not the momma in the center. It is only about 4 feet long, which means it's about 4 years old at this point.
I don't know where big momma was, but I did keep my head on a swivel while I was photographing these knuckleheads.
The two babies to the right were just starting to fuss. (see the blurry turned head of the top one?).
They snapped at each other and the top one plopped into the water right after the picture was taken.

It was a really windy day ... cold and windy.

Don't let the beautiful skies full you, unlike Minnesotarctica, the sun shines brightly here on cold days.

11 comments:

threecollie said...

That bone rode is amazing. I have never seen anything like it. Do people just dump carcass parts out there for the gators or do they just plain dump them?
Nice gator pics too.

threecollie said...

Road....I can spell better then that

Arkansas Patti said...

Love your gator pics. Knew a fellow who ran a gator farm, not for tourists, but for meat and hides. He said those darlin's will bite you fresh from the egg. Admire your daring-do getting the pics for us.

Thunder said...

You can never go wrong with gator photos or video!

robin andrea said...

I like seeing the bones picked clean like that. Everybody's been fed. That's good.

Those gator shots are grand. I especially like the one with just the head and that menacing eye.

amarkonmywall said...

I'm really enjoying all the gators at Boyd Hill- there the big momma parks herself at the entrance to an inlet on the lake and all the babies are tucked up and about in the inlet. I discovered her nesting place the other day- all hollowed out with bits of last years eggs strewn about. I'll post a picture.

I want one of those skulls.

Ericka said...

huh. neat. i imagine that if i ever find myself on bone road, it'll be near midnight on a full moon night and i'll pop a tire on a bone and die of self-induced heart failure. i'm lucky like that. probably good i don't live anywhere near there.

the gators are so cool! *sigh* i wish we had some here.

Aunty Belle said...

YA does git to some amazin' spots.

Yore nautical chicken is a hoot-'er a cluck.

Pam Aries said...

Hi there..just found your blog while looking for ..well, blogs on Florida! hehehe. I am moving ...to Southwest Florida in a few weeks. Love your blog and will be back! Thank you for all the cool nature tours!

cinbad122 said...

Why don't they move when you want them to?

R.Powers said...

3C,
Just plain dumping I think!

ArkPatti,
I agree with that fella. They are snappy rascals.

ThunderD,
See, I feel that way too.

Robin,
An eye to be reckoned with for sure.

Vicki,
Anticipating picture, working on skull request.

Ericka,
That's a spooky picture you paint!!

Aunty,
Florida is so full of them!

Pam,
Welcome to Pure Florida!!!
Glad you are enjoying the view!

Cindy,
Because they are stubborn ...