Monday, November 09, 2009

Cacophony? Not If You're A Bird.

Last Saturday, I parked the JEEP in a favorite haunt and walked up a dirt road into a steady wind. It was late in the day and I was hoping that the combination of prime movement time and the wind in my face, might allow me to sneak up on somebody hunting in the swamp nearby.


My plan worked (which always surprises me) and after a short walk, I found a family of raccoons noisily splashing around in a small pond. I saw and heard them first, so I was able to get pretty close before they noticed me.


But before that ... as I walked, the trees above me were just alive with birds. The light was going, so they are silhouettes, but I thought you might enjoy the antics and sounds of a tree full of migrants.



I hope to show you the raccoon family later this week. The video failed to load on the first attempt, but I shall endeavor to persevere. It turns out they are pretty cute when they are not raiding your chickens.


Oh ... and I will be showcasing my buddy Cindy's gator shots this week too. She did good.

Our weather from IDA (so far) consists of heavy grey skies with a brisk wind out of the east/northeast. No rain yet, this afternoon.

My girls have their first soccer game tomorrow. I'm hoping we don't get rained out ... yet, I love tropical, pond filling downpours ... I am conflicted.




11 comments:

threecollie said...

Noisy critters...what are they?

R.Powers said...

I'm gonna let the birders answer that one.

LGB's to me.

Pablo said...

Nice video of the birdies. Reminds me of the lorikeet cage at the zoo at feeding time.

The crows were raucous at Roundrock when I was there on Sunday. I always think they're telling each other that the man with the peanuts has arrived. The problem is, they may be crowing when I'm not there too, but I don't know if because . . . I'm not there.

Felicia said...

Awesome video! I think most of your birds are Tufted Titmice, which are incredibly cute. They're not migrants, though, but year-round residents and regular bird-feeder visitors. BUT..if you're looking for migrants, follow the Titmouse and chickadee flocks; the migrants somehow know that these are knowledgeable and helpful locals (and the first to sound an alarm when potential predators come by.)

Can't wait to see your raccoon video!

robin andrea said...

Those are some noisy birds, fc. Unrecognizable to me, but thoroughly entertaining nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to your raccoon video. They do have a certain charm and insouciance.

Good luck with IDA!

Unknown said...

The Birds!!! All I could think about was the movie and suddenly the video was scary lol. Good luck with your game tomorrow!! Love you!

Dani said...

A hear a cardinel, but I don't know the other ones.

Dani said...

That was cardinal. Off to get more coffee. :)

Sayre said...

We just got some light rain most of the night - the alarm went off for a marine warning about 5:30 this morning... She's not even on shore yet, but they've changed her path a bit north of us. That's okay with me. Hopefully she'll drag some wet along behind her.

Your birds do sound like titmice and chickadees. Chickadees always surprise me here - after living here all my life, the first one I ever saw in person was in Oklahoma!

R.Powers said...

I thought that one crested guy might be a titmouse!

jean said...

I'll take raccoons any day over those darn squirrels. I can't stand those tree rats.