Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Florida Flatwoods Flowers...a little beauty to soften Katrina's devastation


Late summer, and the slightly less warm period some of you call "Fall", is a time of beautiful wildflowers in Florida. A lot of the prettier species seem to appreciate moist ground so a road passing near a swamp is often brilliantly painted by swamp sunflowers, blazing star, tickseed, etc.

I have planted store bought blazing star seeds in good garden soil at home and never had any grow as heavy and vigorous as the wild ones I see driving to work. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Karen Schmautz said...

Isn't that always the case? I have tried to grow Queen Anne's Lace in my own garden...dismal failure. They grow with wild abandon all over the place around here especially in really bad ground with hardly any water. I believe the native ones laugh at me as I pass them by on the road.

R.Powers said...

Hick,
Sometimes I think we make the conditions too plush for these tough native plants.

Anonymous said...

I''m familiar with this subject too