Saturday, October 08, 2005

Growing Like A Weed...


Tall things.
My 14 year old son in one of my swamp sunflower patches. He stands about 5 feet 8 inches tall and he's standing on a short step ladder, so I estimate the top of his head is 7 -8 feet high in this picture.

The yellow is the swamp sunflower of course, but mixed in is the heirloom orange cosmos that a lady gave me. If you look carefully, some of the cosmos is even higher than the sunflower.

I didn't plant any of the flowers in this picture. They are all volunteer descendents of a few originals tossed in the garden a few years ago.

I did plant the boy...he is growing taller every day and I can see the day...maybe next year ...when he is taller than his dad. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Deb said...

Amazing how they grow...the kids I mean. My 8 year old son is chin-high on me, and I'm 5 foot 7. 6 year old daughter is 4 feet and growing.

Nice flowers too!

Anonymous said...

I guess in Florida, you can go about without a shirt most of the time. Seems like nearly all of the photos of your son have him shirtless. My boys would NEVER go without a shirt -- until one year at Scout camp they saw that the older boys were. Suddenly, you had to beg them to put on shirts. Of course, this time of year in the Midwest, they're keeping their shirts on. My three sons are all taller than I am, and I am taller than my father. If this trend keeps up . . .

pablo
roundrockjournal.com

R.Powers said...

Deb,
Maybe we're feeding them too well :)

Pablanonymous,
He's starting to get some muscle definition so I notice the "boy-man" is shirtless more often. The weather in North FL this time of year is such that you can be shirtless and sweltering one day, and trying to find a flannel shirt the next...no true cool weather yet in 2005's fall.
Ditto on the taller than my dad thought...

Anonymous said...

Well *I* like the swamp sunflowers! I've occasionally had volunteers like this pop up unexpectedly - some native flowering spurge turned up this year, and some royal catchfly. But the swamp sunflowers remain the best discovery so far.