Monday, May 11, 2009

This Weekend and a New Grill


The new grill is broken in.
I grilled a bunch of chicken and two London broils for Mother's Day.
This is, on the surface, the same model I finally wore out just this year, but the Brinkman folks have made some nice improvements.
  • The shelf is metal not wood like my earlier model. The wood slowly burns away near the grill.
  • The main grill area is bigger ... longer, so you can place more dead animals on it.
  • The grilling surface is divided into 3 sections for easy charcoal adjustment.
  • The air vent on the smaller smoker drum is improved.
  • There's a warming rack inside.
  • The hood has a basic heat gauge.
  • The grilling surface rests on a long supporting shelf instead of a handful of little clips like the old one had.
  • The charcoal rests in a heat shield tray that protects the barrel bottom, but also is easily adjustable for different cooking methods.
  • The price is the same as the unimproved model was about 5 years ago.

Way to go Brinkman grill elves!








BBQ chicken, London broil, garlic bread, mac and cheese, baked beans, and salad.





The Mother's Day meal proved to have strange sedative powers and I flopped out after eating too much. I must have had a sleep deficit or something, I remember sitting on the swing with Emma chatting and my eyelids just kept shutting down ... like having the nods while driving. That was weird, because I am not a napper and she is not boring.





As a result of post lunch lethargy, the pond that should have been installed is not quite done and we will be returning for another go at it.





This is not necessarily bad news as Mom likes having us around, so another visit to do pond work is fine with her ... and if I time that visit right, I can catch another family BBQ.




Entertainment was provided by Bear, who couldn't quite figure out the bright spot on the floor of Mom's porch.

Now I can't wait to take a laser pointer home.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

Nice grill! We have the old one (as you've seen) and the same issues. Might be time for an upgrade, and after looking at the results of YOUR new one, it's DEFINITELY time for LUNCH! :)

rick said...

i have one like your new one it is awesome i smoked 2 deer hams, 2 turkey breasts and a large ham and still had room for more hope yall had a great mothers day

Thunder said...

Nice grill! Lightnin is trying to get me to let go of my old Brinkman, but it's not dead yet!

Dani said...

What a grill! It's so much fun having a new toy around.

Anonymous said...

FC-
Thunder needs to understand sometimesinarp it's better to put the thing down than to let it die!
Lightnin

robin andrea said...

Nice grill. Sounds like a perfect Mother's Day there.

Cathy S. said...

Our dogs go nuts over a laser pointer, too. It is VERY funny in a pathetic sort of way. That we can be such sickos to torture them so and laugh so hard over it. But, it is still funny.

Anonymous said...

I checked your blog out today to get a peek at my favorite Aunt Peggy--really? Mother's Day and the dog steals the scene? I was thrilled to see that her sneakers look terrific--just like I remember from last summer! Love to Aunt Peggy on Mother's Day. Love, Lauri

tsiya said...

Falling asleep on a full stomach is a sign of age!

Pablo said...

Post lunch lethargy. I know it well!

Ericka said...

lunch looks fabulous!

poor bear. i do the same thing to my cats. laser pointers rock!

Miz S said...

I AM a napper, a PROUD napper, and I feel sleepy just reading about you sitting on the porch swing with droopy eyelids.

Bear is a funny boy. My old Westie, Clyde, loved flashlights and laser pointers and sprinklers and hoses and pretty much everything that life offered. He was, in fact, a small and compact version of Bear.

Sounds like a fun Mother's Day. Have a great week at school. Are you in countdown mode? I am.

Doug Taron said...

I have grill envy. When you introduce Bear to a laser pointer, you should do another video. My cats love playing with laser pointers.

Aunty Belle said...

uh oh. Uncle goin' ter be throwin' fits when he see that smokin New Grill!!

I took yore name in vain at the Front Porch--in prep for Troll's Throwdown.

Belated Happy Mother's Day to all yore clan mamas.

R.Powers said...

I'm so late responding that I am gonna weasel out with a blankey thankey for your comments.

The grill definitely passed it's shakedown cruise tho!