Thursday, March 22, 2012

MANATEE MULLET MAGIC




I finally sat down and installed my Blurfix attachment to my GoPro camera housing. Wednesday, I took it to Manatee Springs State Park for a pressure test in the main spring bowl ... about 25 feet deep.

After a few deep dives with an empty case and  no leaks, I returned to the surface and popped the GoPro into the housing.

Then it was back into the water.

I cruised around filming the fish and scenery for an hour or so, hoping that the Blurfix truly had fixed the slight underwater blur that plagues the standard GoPro housing.

A school of large mullet were extremely cooperative, and I think you regulars may notice how much sharper the focus is.
If you want to compare, you could go back a few posts to the last Manatee video post and compare the sharpness.

I'm stoked and looking forward to getting it wet over spring break.

In case you are wondering about mullet in pure fresh spring water, they are "euryhaline" and can handle both salty and fresh water ... just like bull sharks ... which I did not see in Manatee, ... but ... it's not impossible.

Stay wet y'all.

8 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

this was really fun to watch, as hubby and I are planning to move to Fl later this year/early next year... beautiful... so relaxing to watch!

Thunder said...

Mmmmm Mullet! Oh, I mean Wow what a difference, that was much clearer! Mmmmm Mullet! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The video really does look sharper. Very well done. I am surprised that the mullet let you get so close and didn't seem to mind your presence at all. Very cool.

Dan said...

The video is very sharp! What a beautiful spring - it reminds me how lucky I am to live in Florida.

Suwannee Refugee said...

Those gopros are amazing cameras. What's more amazing to me is to think that five years ago you nor I could do this without dropping about 5k. BTW-Love Manatee Springs!!

Suzanne said...

I really enjoyed watching the fish -- so relaxing and peaceful. The water is so clear! I'm in Indiana and the water usually looks muddy or dark in some way or other. And it's healthy to swim in -- wow. Very beautiful, PF.

R.Powers said...

Look for more underwater vids now that I have my blurfix! Thanks for the comments!

Julie Zickefoose said...

How did you know I needed a little snorkeltime with FC today? this is gorgeous, so divine, and the soundtrack of your breathing really makes it feel like I'm there snorkeling with you. What a nice thought. Happy spring!

Hey, can you grow an American chestnut in your part of Florida?