Monday, March 26, 2018

SUWANNEE SPRING ... with Fangorn

Let's go for a Spring walkabout at Suwannee River State Park. Do it now while the new foliage has that Spring glow to it, the humidity is down, and the mosquitoes are few and far between.
Like most Florida state parks that border on water, the boat ramp at the park is excellent. I was "sans kayak" on this day as my goal was just to revisit a park that I had not been to in a very long time.
There's a trailhead near the boat ramp, so after inspecting the ramp, I headed off into the river forest. 
The trail flows through the floodplain of the river than into some uplands and back along the river bank. 
This walk was Spring 2017 and the river was low, so much of the floodplain was exposed.
The floodplain trees, buttressed against the river which often covers their base, were easy to access.
These old giants have met the challenge of years of living in an ecosystem that was alternately dry, like now, but also submerged when the rains come.
This is a gnarly old tree lover's part of the trail. (So, what I mean by that is it is a trail for folks who love gnarly old trees ...not a trail for gnarly old humans who love trees.
If the shoe fits though ...
I was glad I came during a low river stage and could walk among the trees and the exposed rocky sinks.



Of course, big trees have big knees.
I mean REALLY big knees.

After dawdling in the exposed floodplain for a ridiculously long time, I hit my stride through the uplands section. It was pretty, but very similar to my personal habitat here at PFHQ.
Besides, there was a river and a spring to see.

 The trail back to the boat ramp offers great views of this beautiful National Scenic River.
As you walk along the river trail and approach the boat ramp again, you can hear Lime Spring before you ever see it.
Lime Spring is a treat.
It bubbles out of the river bank and tumbles into the Suwannee. Seeing the spring like this depends on the river's level of course.

If you go to Suwannee River State Park and you are very lucky, you might meet the Ent below.

 Believe me, I was as surprised as anyone when Fangorn strolled up and asked for a selfie.
Seems he's a fan of Pure Florida, so I had to oblige.


8 comments:

threecollie said...

Astonishing! An Ent! Good on you!

troutbirder said...

A fun time seeing the Suwanee State Park again. It's be a decade in since our Feb. stay at Cedar Key...:)

Julie Zickefoose said...

I love this, and I wish you many more such walks along the Suwannee River

roger said...

love those trees

Miz S said...

Looks like a fun day. I assume you are on spring break. Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Great post, full of facts and personality, just the way you do so well. I imagine a further account with a kayak perspective would see the forest differently.

The knees we grown around here are not nearly as impressive!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking us on this beautiful walk!

Oscar Fernandez said...

Fantastic captures. Natural beauty