Monday, November 03, 2008

Stewie Becomes a Myspace/YouTube Star

Every week, I feed Stewie the exceptionally cool classroom cornsnake a mouse. I alternate class periods, so if 3rd period got to see him eat last week, 4th period would have the honor this week.

Last week, the high school kids in 2nd period, asked if they could take their cell phones out (normally verboten!) to film Stewie while he ate.

That seemed like a reasonable bending of the school rules, so I said yes.

The soundtrack you hear as Stewie eats his mouse are the voices of my students, and me once or twice.

What you can't see is a forest of handheld cell phones directly above Stewie's cage as they filmed him eating.

Listen to their voices ... it's good to hear that the electronic generation can still be awed by the wonder of a snake eating something bigger than his head.

It gives me hope.

10 comments:

threecollie said...

This kind of post is why Pure Florida is my favorite blog.
Hands down.
(Mice down too.)
Stewie is a gorgeous snake and quite the film star. And how delightful to listen to your students' reactions. I wonder you many kids you and Stewie have turned out that won't go out of their way to run over or stomp on some poor snake because they understand about them.

Sayre said...

Awesome!

Dani said...

Drat! It won't let me watch the video, says it's unavailable. I'll try again later. :)

Paintsmh said...

I had the same problem as Dani, so I reloaded the page. SO worth it! Way cool!

Dani said...

You so ROCK Stewie!

Kimberlee said...

Excellent!!! I can't wait to show this to MY students. We don't have snakes up here, so an opportunity to see one in action is priceless! It'll be great for my kids to hear your students' reactions as well...hear others appreciating the "cool factor" that snakes offer. :) Thanks so much for taking the time to share this.

Sharon said...

"and like, and like..." LOL, cool :)

Doug Taron said...

Mr. FC continues to be teacher of the year. I loved the kids' reactions to it.

jean said...

What a great teacher! You rock. The kids reactions to it were very funny.

R.Powers said...

3C,
Flattery like that will get you more fatwood lighter in the mail!!
:)
How's your supply?

Sayre,
Stewie IS awesome!

Dani,
He is one rocknly cool snake.

Paint,
Thanks for that tip, I had to do the same thing!


Kimberlee,
NOW that is cool, to think that Stewie is helping out in a classroom north of the arctic circle!!

Sharon,
Teenspeak ... gotta love it.

Doug and Cndymkr/jean,
Stewie's doing all the teaching in the video... I will tell him you said good job! :)
I loved the reactions too.