I came out with: 2 Apache blackberry plants, birdblock, a 90 degree pvc fitting, a big bag of potting soil mix, long zip ties, and a plastic shell mini-pond .
The pond was discounted to $10 and I could not resist it.
On Sunday, I hiked out to the recently burned area among the palms to install an ephemeral pond. Natural ephemeral ponds come and go with cycles of rain and drought. These essentially fishless ponds (the horror!) are important to amphibians for reproduction as a lack of fish predators increases the frog, toad, salamander clan's chances of survival.
Step One: I chose this spot as it had a nice mix of sun and shade. It is on the edge of the recently control-burned palm glade.
Step Two: The top soil here is a thick mat of leaf litter and tangled roots above what is essentially beach sand. I used the mattock to chop through the oak, palm, and smilax roots at the surface. I tossed roots out into the surrounding woods and began digging the pond hole.
Step Three: Excavating the hole for the pond shell. My cart has a mesh bottom so I cut a few green palm fronds with the machete to line the cart and hold the excavated sand.
Step Four: Almost done. Time to add the water. This was easy to do as I had about two hundred feet of hose extended down from the house due to last week's burning.
Step Five: I have the pond slightly tilted towards you so that overflow water pours out and around to the left ... your left, my right.
Step 6: After the pond overflow path was established, I excavated the low spot and planted some blue flag iris that I had in pots.
There's more to do.
I want to add some rocks and logs for critter shelter nearby. This being Florida, I will add about two male gambusia minnows just to keep the mosquito population down. They are small enough that their presence should not effect amphibian egg laying.
I will update you on this project as it progresses.