Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Dogtrot House and FC Faces Reality


Dogtrot houses get their name from the narrow corridor running down the center of the structure which effectively divides the house in two. The design is very energy efficient down here in the land of heat and humidity (okay, not NOW ...26 degrees as I write this).

The dogtrot corridor funnels breezes through the structure pulling air through the open windows of adjoining rooms and cooling the house.
This design still makes sense down here, although it is designed to work with windows open, not closed with A/C blasting.



I zoomed in a little to show the dogtrot more clearly. The house is vacant and sits on 100+ acres. I got that from the for sale sign on the fence.
If you got the money honey ... I would, if I did, believe me.


A maximum zoom shot from the roadside looking directly at the dogtrot and out into the pasture behind it.
Elevating the house here in the south allows for cool air to circulate beneath the structure ... we don't need much thermal mass storage, although countless houses are built on concrete slabs down here.
Termites and other rotters are also a terrific challenge to wood structures so getting the building off the ground helps to deter hungry cellulose chompers.

I seem to remember this house suddenly appearing on this ranch several years ago, so I think it was moved to the site. The local ranch that bought the property back then stocked the most beautiful brown beef cattle ... like a chocolate labrador they were.
I don't recall the variety, but they were purty.

This post took forever to write (not that it's contents would make you suspect that), because when I did a little search for Dogtrot info, I found this site.

I spent a lot of time there looking through the plans and following links.
Tres cool.
I love snug small buildings.
PFHQ is a small home by most modern standards, but we are talking really, really small at this place.

I feel a treehouse FC office coming on ...

(Here, dear reader, the strangest thing took place ... be patient with the abrupt transition, ... consider the source)

POOF!

From atop FC's shoulder, a tiny FC appeared and an irritatingly loud voice spoke:

"Hello FC, this is Reality ..."

"Huh?"

"R-E-A-L-I-T-Y, Bonehead ... time to face me!"

"Who are you kidding ?
You have 2.8 kids in college, a soccer team that is absorbing all your time, a new afterschool tutoring job, ... besides, what about that unfinished atlatl and the snake about to eat the tree frog walking stick?
They both sit unfinished in the shed, right next to the partially finished John Longclaw shield you are making for Junior's medieval fair.
Dude ... finish something!"

"Okay, Reality, you're really starting to piss me off, and I don't get PO'd easily, so this would be a good time to shut up."

"And weren't you going sell datil pepper seeds on PF? Where's the picture and advertisement in the sidebar?
I DON'T SEEEEEE IT."

"I'm warning you, ya' need to back off."

"Oh, and who was going to assume the job of starting datil peppers for friends and family now that your Dad has to give it up?
HE would have already had his seeds in a starting tray with bottom heat.
You haven't even done a germination test!
And another thing ... ACK! "

The little fellow was surprisingly easy to squash, I need to go now, gotta wash my hands.

Facing Reality wasn't that hard after all ... now where should I put that treehouse ...

21 comments:

jojo said...

Ocklawaha has a boys and girls club. ggesh can't remember the name exactly. but they had a bunch of those buildings. I loved it. We stayed in one. After that became a HUGE fan of that style. I want to build one.

So what is the price on that land? and where is it?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm,

The voices have started. Two for the price of one!

Patti

threecollie said...

When that little guy shows up around here I toss him on the ground and stomp on him. Can't wait to see the tree house. lol

Sayre said...

If I had the money, I'd buy that place in a heartbeat. I love little buildings like that!

myamuhnative said...

I don't recall any dogtrots down here,but we do have some remnant shotgun shacks left.
They are similar in that they have a central inside corridor that connects front and rear doors.And saying goes that you could storm in the front door with a shotgun and hit someone before they could get out the back door..

Can I place my order for datil seeds now? Please?

Carol said...

My kinda home...small...open...and on lots of acreage!!! i want it...but then there is that little reality guy down here too...

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Nicolezmomma said...

Cracker Log Homes has a dog trot demonstration house on 27 near Williston. It is beautiful.

jean said...

I am a pro at squashing Reality. It's good to know that someone else out there has the same problems.

SophieMae said...

Honey, if I had the money, I'd buy more than that ONE. 8-}

Always glad to hear of any reality-squashin'. Now let's talk about that 500-or-so foot boardwalk down by the creek ...

You do have the book Classic Cracker, right?

Anonymous said...

Ain't it funny the things cold weather does to some people?

Anonymous said...

FC...just sent an email to you.
Touched on your "coldness" from yesterdays post!

Patti

Deb said...

I love houses that are designed for passive cooling (and heating, loving our south facing windows now!)

If we all listened to that voice, we would never try anything new.

And, approximately how long do Datil peppers take to mature? Anything beyond 80 days is risky here.

S N B said...

Clever, very clever.

Freste said...

You are somehow reminding me of the John Cusack movie, "Identity" here. To be honest, procrastination is just fine. That's what tomorrows are for.

Ericka said...

ooh, treehouse! i love treehouses!

i want this one: http://epicwinftw.com/2009/11/27/this-is-the-treehouse-we-all-wanted-our-dads-to-build/

Miz S said...

Yeah...I have that finishing things problem too. Also the starting things problem. But grand ideas? I have TON of those.

Dani said...

Reality Sucks! lol

p.s. I'll buy some seeds from yah.:)

Thunder said...

Get used to the voice FC I have a feeling it's going to be a long cold winter this year!
"Loyd,how about a round of cabin fever form me and all my friends?"!

MamaHen said...

A dogtrot! yea!!!! maybe one day my house will morph into the dogtrot it is supposed to be, if I can ever build that other half. It's shame that this design concept has been mostly lost; even Southerners don't usually know what you are talking about when you say 'dogtrot'.

Brickman said...

Don't knock the concrete slab so much, my 1950's ranch is old-style terrazzo and it is awesome in the summer, always cool to the touch (of the bare foot). The dogs really love it.

The old family house on my mother's side in South Carolina was a variation on the "dogtrot" theme, but it was a Georgian so the central hallway had doors at each end. A lot of those old hallways had their demise when indoor plumbing came along, they were a convenient place to enclose a bathroom.

R.Powers said...

JoJo,
Look it up on the Jim King realty website. It's south of Chiefland.

To all,
I'm so late on responding to this, I'm gonna pull a blanket response ticket out and use it.
Thanks for all the input. Nice to know I am may be nuts, but am not totally alone in having too many irons in the fire.
Actually, soccer will soon end. This is the last week of the regular season games. Might be a tournament game after that, but essentially this week is it.