Calm down you hippies ... it's my new red swamp mallow (Hibiscus coccineus). It bloomed this morning and the hummingbird was right there to check it out. (No, I did not have my camera on me ... weird, I know.)
Blossom pic to come ...
You long time readers know I usually pass on Meme's. They can be fun, but as a daily poster, I usually have a full agenda of THINGS ABOUT THE REAL FLORIDA THAT I MUST TELL YOU BEFORE I BURST!
So, normally, I do a polite decline. It's easier if it's a guy who tags you (don't hate me Thingfish23), but it's always hard to say no to the ladies.
Meme's about me are most difficult, because I think the wild things I write about on a daily basis are waaaaaaay more interesting than me.
(Readers who actually know me, ... Cindy, Glo, Lightnin, Thunder, Rick, Kevin, Billy, Woody, Thingfish, and Jan can vouch for this fact)
In the past week, I've been tagged twice. Once by longtime blogger pal Sophiemae who authors the beautiful Florida Cracker Crumbs blog and once by a new commenter, Just The Right Size, who is apparently a lovely, crackerjack gourmet cook and vintner. You like to eat good stuff? You should check out her blog. Her strawberry wine sounds amazing.
Sophie tagged me with the 123 meme, which says to ...
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the 5th sentence
4. Post the next three sentences
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.
I will obey 1-4, but break rule 5.
There are no books that big in the chilipepper red upstairs bedroom where I write, so I went to the stairs, which the remodeling job has transformed into a bookshelf of sorts. I chose" Raptor Red" by Robert Bakker.
A long time rule breaker ... I didn't stick strictly to the sentence count.
"Raptor Red doesn't even look at the dactyl disappearing along the riverbank. She's absorbed with the thousands of bubbles, large and small, left by his sudden take off.
Exploration is mental play, and big-brained carnivores are the most playful in any ecosystem. Raptor Red was enjoying the sense of well-fed well being on the sand flat when she saw the dactyl doing something strange out on the river. She has no fear of this dactyl--and no desire to eat it either, so curiosity took over."
Now, the harder meme from Just The Right Size: 6 random things about me. As with Sophie's tag, I will break the rule about tagging others.
Hope you aren't too "board" with what follows about me ...
1. I played Barbies with the girl next door when I was a little guy. In my defense, I was Ken at all times and I did move on to GI JOE's.
2. I'm not much of a traditional sports (football, basketball, baseball) fan. I blame it on Marlene and her damn Barbies ... just kidding Marlene.
3. #2 goes by the wayside if my children are out there playing. THEN, I want to kick the other team's ass. (I said "ass" on Pure Florida ... I don't think I've ever done that before, but it illustrates the change in moi when my DNA is on the court or field.)
4. I love to cook. I find it creative and very satisfying both during the process and at the table. Mostly I cook rustic food with minimal, simple ingredients. I know it's trendy to serve a tiny molecule of meat with 6 slivers of green beans artfully arranged atop it ... I watch the cooking shows too ... BUT, you won't find that here. If I cook for you, your plate will be full, and so will you when you're done.
5. Too often I get enthused about something, do it for awhile, and then move on ... always meaning to come back. Eventually, I do. Remember the atlatl? Yup, still sitting on my workbench ... waiting.
6. I have a Florida-based (duh) novel bouncing around in my head. This summer, I've tried getting some of it out and onto the hard drive. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be.
Okay, I'm done.
Now, those T&G paneling boards in the picture above (only a fraction of the total) need their "between coat sanding" and a final coat of poly.
Just another exciting day for Mr. Wild Adventures ...